Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 4...Sigh

It's the first Sister's Day for our kiddos and they aren't together. Sigh...

Sonne has been in the hospital since Thursday. I am exhausted in a way I never was during their NICU days. At least there we knew what we were dealing with. They were premature and had growing to do. Here it seems as though no one has any definitive answers.

When I left yesterday Sonne was resting comfortably but he 5 o'clock feed didn't go well. They believe she aspirated breast milk because she stopped breathing (for less than a minute) and her O2 sats dropped into the 30s/40s. So they increased her oxygen flow significantly and moved her to a room across from the nurse's station so she would be closer to assistance if needed. I also just learned that during the move her heart rate dropped significantly a couple times.

I got to thinking that this was similar to what happened during her NEC scare in the NICU. I mentioned that to the nurse and will mention it to the attending physician when I speak with her later.

For now, she is resting comfortably. She's back on simple nasal canuoles at a low flow and her sats are holding well. We are still waiting for her viral panel to come back and I think they are trying to decide if she needs any additional tests.

As for Morgen, she is as cute as ever. Last night she peed the bed. Oh well...had I not fallen asleep while nursing her she would have gotten a fresh diaper before 7:45am. Doh! When I put her on the changing table she looked up at me with these bright blue eyes and gave me a huge smile. That's the first time I think she's done that - her smiles are usually gas related. That made my day start just right.

Eric should be arriving back in LA in a few hours. He's been trying to get here since the crack of dawn east coast time but Delta failed him leaving Boston so he missed his connection in Detroit. The poor guy. I know he had a good time at the wedding, but I also know that his enjoyment was shadowed by what's been going on here with Sonne.

As for me, I'm hanging in there. There are times when all I was to do is cry, but that really isn't going to help things. Mind you, I have let myself cry. I'm also not about to hold it all in. That wouldn't do me any good either. I'm very glad Eric will be here in a few hours. It will be easier to handle everything with my partner by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment